Roxton Nursing Home


General Information

Before you arrive:

Before you arrive we will have undertaken a preliminary care assessment, this helps us to ensure that we can meet your care needs. If you are in hospital, we will have spoken with the ward staff and your family members to gather information. If you are at home, we hope to have been able to speak to you and your family members to gather information.

We usually have a day or two with a room empty before a new resident arrives. If you would like to come along and visit, look at the room and plan the furniture , please do so. Some residents bring their own furniture, pictures and photos or other mementos. We are keen to see how we can make the room look homely for you before you arrive. Please do contact us to discuss how we can help.

Your first day here:

We know that the first day can be very unsettling and it will take time to get to know the staff and other residents. We will allocate a care assistant who will usually look after you, this way she can get to know you and make sure that we provide the care that you want. On the first day, we will talk with you and your family members about your needs and preferences, we will develop a care plan that helps us to ensure that your care needs are clear and communicated to our staff.

We encourage residents to spend time with others in the lounges, but some prefer to spend time in their own room. We will follow your wishes.

We will ask you or your family member to sign a contract, this sets out who is responsible for the residents bills and what care we provide in the fee. If the resident is funded by a Social Care department, there will be two contracts – one between us and the social care service and the other between Roxton and the resident or family member.


There are many activities undertaken, these include:

Our Fees

Our fee will vary, dependent on the level of care that the resident requires and who pays the fee. The Local authority benefits from a discount, because they pay for the care for many of our residents. At 1 April 2017 our annual review of fees takes account of:

Roxton Nursing Home also adds an administrative charge to all invoices for sundries and items purchased by residents through the home. This is because:

Our fees are set out below:

Privately funded residents room rate, plus the nursing care payment, as follows:

All other items funded direct by the resident (or family) and paid through the home, eg: chiropody, hairdressing are charged at cost plus a 5% handling charge.

Toiletries, per month (includes stockings) - £15.00. Extras; eg stockings, to be charged per item (for those who supply own toiletries).

Escorts, (e.g. support for outpatient visits, escort on social event) charged at employee rate +20% per hour (covers employers costs – National Insurance, Holiday pay). Escorts for emergency visit to hospital charged as above after 2 hours.

Care Explained

It's important that you understand the type of care you need before you make the step of choosing a care home that is right for you. If at any stage you have questions about care and the options open to you, whether at Roxton Nursing Home or anywhere else, call us on 0121 3542621, and our dedicated staff will be happy to help.

Residential Care:

The term residential care refers to the delivery of personal care within a residential setting. It is for those who can no longer manage living on their own even with assistance from home care agencies or relatives. There are many reasons why residential care may be needed. Residents can expect 24 hour assistance with the following:

The above are just a few types of the help that Roxton Nursing Home provides. Residents can expect to live in a comfortable environment where they can feel at home, have their meals freshly prepared and laundry and cleaning taken care of. Above all, carers are there not just to deliver personal care, but to support our residents' social and emotional needs, so their lives are enhanced instead of feeling lonely or isolated.

Nursing Care:

Nursing care is the same in its approach as residential care, with the additional benefit of round-the-clock assistance from a qualified nurse. Those who have spent long periods in hospital are usually assessed as needing nursing care. Each resident who requires our Nursing Care Service benefits from the same in-home facilities available to the Residential residents. The fees charged in nursing homes are usually higher than those in residential homes; however the NHS makes a nominal contribution towards these fees for the nursing aspect of the care provided.

Respite Care:

Respite care is available for individuals who need short term care for between one to four weeks to enable a full time carer to have a rest or holiday, or in the event that the carer themselves becomes ill temporarily. Some care homes have rooms specifically reserved for respite care; other homes only offer this service if there is a vacant room available. Respite care can be provided as a one off stay or for more frequent stays.

Sometimes on discharge from hospital, many people require additional care to start the recovery process. Some individuals or families require the services of a care home and would like to try for a short period to ensure the resident is comfortable before making a longer-term commitment.

Dementia Care:

The term "dementia" is used to describe the symptoms that occur when the brain is affected by specific diseases and conditions. Symptoms include loss of memory, confusion, problems with speech and understanding and differ from person to person.

More Information on Fees and Funding

Many people think that care homes in the independent sector are only for the wealthy. You may be surprised to know that the majority of care homes in the UK are owned by the independent sector, and that 70 per cent of residents have their fees paid partly or wholly by their local authority.

If your local authority is assisting with funding, it doesn't mean you have to choose one of their homes. You can request any home that accepts residents funded by the local authority. However, the local authority will want to be sure that the home is suitable for your needs and doesn't cost more than it would usually pay for that type of care. If you want a more expensive home than the authority is willing to pay for, you are allowed to 'top up' their contribution from another source.

Sources of funding:

What will the state normally provide?

Where it is likely that you have insufficient capital to pay the care home fees, the local authority will do a financial assessment to determine whether you are eligible for local authority funding. The state provides care for those with insufficient funds to pay their own costs; if they feel that you do have sufficient means you will be required to pay at least some of the fees.

My mother is looking for residential care - will she have to sell her home to pay for her care?

If your mother has capital of over £23,000 (in England; £22,000 in Wales) she will not qualify for assistance from the Local Authority until such a time as her capital is below this amount. Any private care fees will therefore have to be met from existing capital and income. (If she has assets below £23,000, she would get increasing help on a sliding scale down to the lower limit of £14,250, where no contribution is needed).

Most savings and assets are included in a means test, but some confusion has surrounded the subject of whether or not a person's home is included. To help clarify the situation, a person's home is not included in the means test if:

Can I keep my pension and benefits if I move into a care home?

If you are funded by the local authority you will be expected to use all of your income, including your pension and benefits to help fund your care except for a nominal sum of £21.90 (England) per week for your day to day spending money. However, if you are paid the Mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance you will continue to get this. If you are over 65 you will also be entitled to up to £5.25 per week of any savings credit.

Do I have to sell my house?

When the local authority completes their financial assessment they will look at all of your assets including your home and pensions. They will only include your home if you live alone or if both of you are moving into a care home. There are specific rules regarding whether certain close relatives are able to continue to live at the home.

What is a 3rd Party Contribution?

If you are entitled to full local authority funding and the home that you choose is more expensive than the local authority is willing to pay, a 3rd party contribution may be paid. This contribution cannot be paid by the prospective resident themselves for legal reasons; however someone else can do so such as a friend or family member.

Is there any difference in funding for nursing care?

If you require nursing care you will be entitled to a contribution from the NHS towards the cost of the care that a Registered Nurse provides, regardless of whether you are privately or local authority funded. This is called Registered Nursing Care Contribution (RNCC).

Where someone needs ongoing specialist medical treatment, the state will pay for the full cost of care; this is called Continuing Care. If you think that you might be entitled to continuing care you should discuss this with your GP, hospital or care home staff. A referral may be made by the care home on behalf of a resident if they feel that the resident's needs have increased such that they may be entitled to continuing care funding.

An assessment is undertaken to decide whether someone is entitled to continuing care; there is an appeal process in the event that an application is turned down.

What happens if I run out of money?

If your capital falls below the upper limit whilst you are in a care home, you become 'depleted' and therefore you will be eligible for funding from the local authority. It is important that you keep the care home manager informed if this is likely to happen so that they can help you arrange the appropriate funding.

Can I get help in my own home?

It is possible that the local authority may be able to support you in your own home however this is down to individual authorities. They may assess your ability to contribute towards these costs just the same as if you required assistance with care home fees and you may be required to pay part or all of the costs accordingly.

You may be entitled to additional benefits to enable you to stay in your home as long as possible including: Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance and Carers Allowance. Some benefits are not means tested, the Benefits Agency should be able to offer advice (Tel: 0800 009966).

Where can I get more advice?

Contact Us

  • Roxton Nursing Home
  • 154 Birmingham Road
  • Sutton Coldfield
  • B72 1LY
  • Tel: 0121 354 2621
  • Email:


  • NHS Continuing Healthcare - 99%
  • Birmingham Social Care Overall Quality Score - 95%