Roxton Nursing Home

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the charges?

Please see our Service User Guide to see our charges, if you wish to discuss them please call our manager on 0121 3542621.

How can I get help from the local authority towards my care fees?

Whether your stay in a care home is temporary or permanent your local authority must carry out an assessment of your needs to establish that you require care in a care home before it can help you with the cost. Most people will be expected to pay at least something towards the cost of their accommodation and personal care in a care home from their income and capital. The amount that you will have to pay will be determined by a following the local authority's needs assessment.

The assessment will look at what capital and income you have. Capital can be in a variety of forms including savings, investments and property (such as your own home). The capital value of your property will be based on its current market value less any outstanding mortgage or loans.

If you have more than £23,250 in capital you will generally be expected to pay the full fee, however if you are looking for temporary, or respite care then the value of your own home will not count towards this figure.

If you are looking to move into care permanently however then the value of your home will generally be taken into account as capital although there are certain exceptions to this for example such as if your home is occupied by your partner (husband, wife, or civil partner) or dependant children.

If your property is taken into account in the assesssment you may be able to enter into a "deferred payment agreement" under which the local authority will agree to provide funding as a loan to be repaid when the property is sold at a later date. This could allow you to move into Roxton Nursing Home and begin to receive the care that you need whilst you are waiting for your former home to be sold.

Cooking is a real chore and I need a special diet. Can you help?

Food is always an area of interest to residents and their relatives. It should not be a concern to either. We cater to the special diets, likes and dislikes of all of our residents.

Is smoking allowed?

Roxton Nursing Home has a "No Smoking" policy for the comfort of residents. Smoking is only permitted outside or in designated areas.

Are the rules strict?

Apart from your obligations contained in your contract there are no rules other than those of common courtesy.

Who can I go to for more information?

If you have broad questions about care provision, please do have a look at the Useful links page, which provides contact details for a range of independent advice providers.

VISITORS: When can my family and friends visit me?

At any reasonable time of the day or night. We have no visiting hours and you are free to entertain your visitors whenever you wish. This may be in the privacy of your own room or in the communal areas of each home. When visitors call we will ask you if you wish to receive them before showing them to your room. To ensure that all of our residents have their privacy, we discourage visitors from being in residents rooms after 7pm.

If you wish for your visitors to have refreshments when they arrive please just ask.

GOING OUT: Can I go out with my family and friends?

Of course - you are free to come and go as you please, we will provide advice if you have any medical conditions.

FURNISHINGS: Can I bring my own furniture, TV etc?

Yes. All rooms are furnished for your comfort but we are happy to remove furniture if you wish to bring your own pieces. You are encouraged to bring as many personal items and photographs as you wish as this makes your room truly your own. All electrical appliances must be tested prior to use, unless new. If you wish to have your own phone line fitted in your room, then this is to be dealt with on a personal level with BT.

POST: How do I receive my mail?

All mail will be delivered to your room daily, unopened.

NEWSPAPERS: Do you offer daily newspapers?

If you wish for a personal newspaper this can be arranged through the Manager, and your bill for this service will be produced to you on a weekly basis.


Most of our residents are cared for by Doctors from the Manor Practice at James Preston Health Centre. If you are a local and have a local GP then there is no problem. However, if you have moved into the area, then your GP is unlikely to be willing to travel to see you and you will need to register with a local GP. Staff will be happy to assist in this instance.

DENTIST/CHIROPODY: How do I get to see a Dentist or Chiropodist?

All services which were previously available to you remain so. We have dentists, opticians and chiropodists who visit each home on request. There may be a charge for chiropody and dental care.

HOSPITAL: How do I keep my hospital arrangements?

If your relative is not able to accompany you to hospital appointments then we will arrange for a member of staff to go with you, there may be a charge for this. We will arrange the transport to and from the hospital via the ambulance service. It is important to inform us of any appointments as soon as possible.

Is there anywhere for relatives to stay?

Our home does not have a permanent facility for visitors to stay overnight, however there may be circumstances when the management would like to/need to accommodate such a request. On these occasions each case will be dealt with on an individual basis.

Are there hairdressing facilities?

Yes. We have a visiting hairdresser operating in our own salon. If you wish to continue to use your own hairdresser this can also be arranged for a small charge on the remaining days each week. This would need to be booked via the manager.

Are there any restrictions that affect me?

Restrictions are kept to a minimum and you have the freedom to choose your own lifestyle, so long as this does not infringe on the rights of others. Our philosophy is to make our Home as flexible as possible. There are no set times for getting up and going to bed. Some residents like to rise early, others prefer a lie in.

Can I retain links with local community?

Yes. Because you are living in a Care Home it doesn't mean that you have to spend all your time here. We want you to carry on your lifestyle as if you are living in your own home. If you need any help let us know.

What happens if I become ill?

You will continue to be looked after in the home if you fall ill. Should you have to enter hospital, then your room will be kept available for the first few weeks. So far as possible you will be cared for, as you would be at home.

What do I do next?

We hope that the information we have given you in this section will help you to make a good decision. If you would like to visit a home, to see for yourself and ask your own questions please phone us on 0121 3542621 to arrange an appointment.

Contact Us

  • Roxton Nursing Home
  • 154 Birmingham Road
  • Sutton Coldfield
  • B72 1LY
  • Tel: 0121 354 2621
  • Email:


  • NHS Continuing Healthcare - 99%
  • Birmingham Social Care Overall Quality Score - 95%